“Peace is one of humanity’s most precious needs. It is also the United Nations’ highest calling.” – Former UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon
MISSION STATEMENT OF THE PROGRAM
The United Nations Association of Australia (UNAA)’s mission is to inform, inspire, and engage all Australians about the critical work, goals and values of the United Nations to create a safer, fairer, and more sustainable world. We achieve our mission by thinking globally, planning nationally, and acting locally. A key element of our work is the UNAA Peace and Security Program, which aims to inform Australians across all sectors of society about the critical work required of Australia and the United Nations to enhance peace and security.
We invite support from government and the private sector to help us to promote our cause in achieving a peaceful global community. The UNAA will develop and advance standards that support world peace initiatives, and will encourage others to adopt these standards as their own personal goals.
Australia has a long and proud history in promoting global peace and security and was influential in helping shape the United Nations Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The Australian Government has served with distinction as a non-permanent member of the Security Council on five occasions, and it is currently serving for the first time on the Human Rights Council. Australia has frequently played a prominent role in promoting arms control treaties and conflict prevention mechanisms, and Australian military, police and civilians have served as UN Peacekeepers since 1947.
THE UNAA PEACE AND SECURITY PROGRAM
The UNAA Peace and Security Program is led by UNAA Queensland in close consultation with the UNAA National Office. The Program is supported by the many activities conducted across Australia by our teams, Young Professionals Network, Academic Network, and through the contributions of our Goodwill Ambassadors. We also work with WFUNA to contribute to the International Forum for the Challenges of Peace Operations (Challenges Forum).
- The UNAA Peace and Security Program will promote our objectives as outlined below to achieve our five pillars through action-oriented engagement activities, including:
- Hosting events across Australia to celebrate relevant UN days.
- Working with schools to engage students in activities that raise awareness and empower them towards further activity.
- Engaging with peace and peace-building partners to support stronger peace initiatives.
- Ensuring the UNAA Peace and Security Program works with WFUNA and that opportunities for dialogue and cooperative activities are encouraged.
- Providing opportunities for others to contribute critical feedback on peace and security related Senate enquiries using the submission process.
UNAA PEACE AND SECURITY PROGRAM EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Annette Brownlie, UNAA Peace and Security Program Manager
Ph: 0431 597 256
Rebecca Buttenshaw, UNAA Peace and Security Coordinator
Ph: 0422 899 116
Donnell Davis, UNAA Queensland President
Ph: 0432 978 230
Michael Smith, Immediate past President UNAA
Ph: 0439 490 297
Annette Brownlie│UNAA National Peace and Security Program Manager email@example.com│firstname.lastname@example.org